Our Susanne does love a bit of cheese - so here’s her cauliflower cheese with a twist - ‘Cheesey does it’!
- 1 medium cauliflower - broken into large florets
- 2 slices of bacon - chopped
- 2 spring onions - chopped
- 40g/1.5oz butter
- 40g/1.5oz plain flour
- 400ml/14fl oz milk
- 100g/3.5oz grated mature cheddar cheese
- Salt and black pepper.
1. Preheat oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5.
2. Wash the cauliflower and place in a large saucepan of salted water. Bring to the boil and cook for 3-5 minutes until the cauliflower is almost tender but still fairly firm, then leave to drain.
3. Chop and fry off the bacon and leave to one side.
4. To make the sauce, melt the butter in a medium, heavy-based pan and stir in the flour. Cook over a gentle heat for one minute. Remove the pan from the heat and gradually add the milk, a little at a time, stirring well between each addition. Return the pan to a medium heat and bring the mixture to the boil, stirring constantly. Simmer for two minutes, then remove from the heat.
5. Add two thirds of the cheese and stir in until melted. Stir in the spring onions and bacon and set aside.
6. Arrange the cauliflower in an ovenproof baking dish. Carefully pour over the sauce, ensuring the cauliflower is completely covered. Scatter over the remaining cheese and bake for 25-30 minutes, until the top is golden-brown and bubbling.
TOP TIP: For a vegetarian option simply make without the bacon.